Got something lovely, shiny, gorgeous or sparkly to share? Join the twitter feed @ThingsToDoinMcr, or get in touch at manchesterthings@outlook.com

Saturday 31 October 2009

Manchester Shine Walk April 2010

This is undoubtedly a dangerous time of year as far as fitness and fatness are concerned. The nights are drawing in, and the temptation is to spend the evenings lying on the couch watching Strictly and grazing on a selection box bought in a bid to be organised for Christmas that has backfired spectacularly.

So that is why I will be doing the Cancer Research Marathon walk through central Manchester next April, in an attempt to get me off the sofa and onto the streets (in the non-seedy sense of the expression, I must add). Such events have been growing in popularity over the last few years, spear-headed by the annual Moonwalk in London for Breast Cancer Care, but this will be the first time that Manchester has hosted its own marathon walk.

The walk (or hobble, more realistically speaking) will take place over the night of Saturday 17th April 2010, and is anticipated to take most people between 7 and 10 hours (hmm, we'll see). There is a half-marathon available for anyone too daunted by the thought of the full 26.2 miles; I'm hoping the tide of humanity will sweep me effortlessly along in its surge through the streets.

Full details on the Shine website at https://shine.cancerresearchuk.org; I'll keep you posted on my pitiful progress towards match fitness.

1 comment:

mik said...

Hi Guys,

I am taking part in this event, I would appreciate some sponsorship, even if it is only £2. My page is as follows:

https://www.sponsormetoshine.org/mikdunne

I am also writing a blog on my training leading upto the event, take a read:

http://sponsormarathonshinemanchester.blogspot.com/

Thank you for your support

mik